Both the Senate Health Care and House Health Care & Wellness Committees are having work sessions on opioids this week.
At a minimum the following agencies and associations will be presenting: (1) Department of Health;(2) Health Care Authority; (3) Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute; and (4) East Asian Medicine Practitioners. They will provide general background information on opioids, the availability of treatment for substance abuse disorders, as well as what is being done to prevent overdoses. Information will be provided with regard to monitoring what is being prescribed to patients, treatment, overdoses, and deaths. They will also look at what is being done to implement safe prescribing practices, explore non-opioid alternatives to pain, expand access to medication-assisted treatment, and how to increase the use of the prescription monitoring program.
- Senate Presenters’ PPs available here from 1/17/17
- TVW will be archived soon.
- House Hearing will be on 1/20/17. See the agenda here.
- King County Heroin and Prescription Opiate Addiction Task Force Report:
- Snohomish County: About the Opioid Project
Articles on opioid epidemic:
- Seattle Times : Why it matters, the opioid epidemic
- Seattle Times: Snohomish County Aims to Fight Opioid Epidemic with Sales Tax Hike on Ballot
- Seattle Times: As the opioid Epidemic Hits Home, What Officials are Doing About It.