Clark County, Vancouver, WA -United States Senator, Maria Cantwell addressed the citizens of Clark County about the importance of the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction to middle-class families in Washington State. The current tax plan in the United States Congress does not include the state and local tax deduction.
In October, WSAC’s Executive Board joined Governor Inslee in warning the Washington State Congressional Delegation of the impacts Washingtonians will feel with the elimination of SALT. The letter cites Kittitas County as an example and says “ending the tax deduction would result in an average increase in over $5,000 in federal tax liability (the amount of their income that is subject to federal income tax) for nearly 5,000 households, over 90 percent of whom are middle income.” In one of our larger counties, Snohomish, it would result in over 129,000 residents seeing an increase of $6,000 in their federal tax liability.
The National Association of Counties (NACo) is committed to making sure that the SALT deduction language is in the final version of the tax reform bill currently before Congress. To learn more about this issue or to see how it specifically affects your county, take a moment to review the resources below.
- Watch: To see the press conference, click on the video in this post or watch it on our YouTube channel.
- Download: You can download the WSAC and Governor joint letter here.
- From NACo’s Blog: Senate passes tax reform package after flurry of negotiations
- The Bill: NACo’s Analysis of H.R. 1
- County Explorer: View state-by-state SALT profiles